RE: dyno time!

To: tom@datsun2000.com ("Tom @ Datsun2000"), neffster189@adelphia.net,
Subject: RE: dyno time!
From: JOver4X4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:22:02 -0400
I have been thinking about Dan's interesting question.  Why did my car only
show a few horsepower more than Tom Hoagland's A cammed Solex engine?
I am driving a 6 blade plastic fan.  I am not running an MSD ignition.  My
engine is very fresh, 500 miles, old Solexs and a B cam. (will I see more power
when the bearings wear in a little? I don't think substantially)  Does gear
ratio play a role in torque or HP readings on the dyno?  I am also running 34mm
chokes to help midrange torque.  (I think Tom is too) I did try to bump my
timing to 25 degrees initial advance and it leaned out the mixture quite a bit.
 Even with a bump in the main jet size to 140 from my normal 135.  I guess I
could bump the timing to 25 deg. initial advance again and try to add even more
fuel, 145 mains?  I think at this altitude and less than 10:1 compression I
could handle 25 deg. initial advance if I added fuel to compensate for leaning
of the mixture.  Any other ideas?  My engine is .040 over, balanced with a 15
lb steel flywheel.  I match ported all runners and am not running an air
cleaner at the moment.  I think I should be seeing more than 135 corrected
horsepower too.  I am happy though that the car runs good and pulls nicely from
2700-6000 rpm.  After that I think the 34 chokes restrict any further top end
performance.
Does anyone else have an idea to help bump my dyno readings?  It is not that I
am unhappy, but, if there is more HP to be had with minor tweaking I am all
over it.
Just pondering,
John Over68 2000wycroc