Re: Need a quote for a new Ring gear for 1968 Datsun 2000

To: "Bill Cole" <wdc52458@proaxis.com>,
Subject: Re: Need a quote for a new Ring gear for 1968 Datsun 2000
From: "Bob Winslade" <bubwin@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:36:17 -0500
I've done dozens of ring gears over the years doing fleet repairs for the
local Phone Company.  To remove the ring gear, use a torch, brass drift and
ball peen hammer.  Get everything out and ready first.  Don't forget gloves,
especially when you're holding the drift to tap off the ring gear.

CAREFULLY let the flame heat just the ring.  Keep moving the torch in a
circular motion around the flywheel never stopping to heat just one spot.
You do not want the gear to become cherry red, especially in just one spot,
unless you are scrapping the gear.  But even then, taking it off carefully
gives you practice for when you need to take one off cleanly.  Continue
around and around, and occasionally stopping to try to tap off the gear.
with the drift and hammer.  working your way around so you don't get the
gear cocked.  When placing on a new gear, heat it the same way, but let the
flywheel cool naturally first.  DO NOT COOL WITH WATER!!!!

Once cooled you could even place the flywheel in the cooler for a few hours,
and take it out only when you are ready to install the ring gear.  It will
stay cold for a little while.

Back in my young and foolish days with my 2nd 510 I could not afford a new
ring gear, so I removed the damaged one and reversed it an reinstalled it.
Sold the car 2 years and 30,000 miles later with the same ring gear in it.

Bob Winslade
1966 1600