Re: OT- 510 parts needed

To: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@adelphia.net>,
Subject: Re: OT- 510 parts needed
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:32:14 -0500
> Craig Halsted

> a local fellow is in need of a nice rear bumper, hood, and a clutch cable
> for a '72 510 4dsd. can anyone help out? he found one bumper for $80 in
> California but they told him with shipping it would be close to $500... what
> a crock. seems to me it should be under $50 to ship, more like half that if
> they box it themselves. his uncle bought the car new and it's passed to his
> father and now on to him and he wants to get it roadworthy and lookin' good
> again. the clutch cable is the most important, he has a friend who does
> bodywork who could take care of the hood. at some point in time someone
> didn't latch it properly and it flew back and put a line across the middle
> and bends in both hinge corners. I figured collectively we might be able to
> help him out.

Craig,

The clutch is hydraulic like the roadster and Z-Car, and AFAIK both master
and slave cylinders are still available from Nissan (call Courtesy, mention
the 510 and roadster lists) and maybe cheaper from a NAP. They should be
Nabco or Tokico anyway. It can't hurt to replace the flex line at the slave
cylinder and flush the hard line thoroughly.

No way would it cost $500 to a ship bumper unless it was carved out of solid
gold. I just had a package that weighted about 30 pounds shipped from London
and for 5 day overseas service it was around $90. Get a (packed) weight, the
shipping zip code and call FedEx for a shipping estimate.

Both the bumper and hood can probably be found in the Dime Quarterly
<http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/> classifieds or maybe at
<www.collectorcartrader.com>.