RE: Pre-Oiling after overhaul

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: RE: Pre-Oiling after overhaul
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:12:22 -0700
Rick,

Make sure you have the engine in reference position (0 degrees TDC) before
you start the following procedure.  Note where the dizzy rotor is pointing,
and as you disassemble things note the angle of the oil pump slot.  Keeping
these things in mind will make things easier when you put it back together.

Remove the distributor and the oil pump/dizzy drive shaft and then use a
reversible variable speed drill motor with a large flat blade screwdriver
bit to turn the oil pump COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.

I cut the handle off of a screwdriver and then ground the edges of widest
part of the blade into round surfaces to fit into the dizzy hole.  Be sure
to hold the dizzy oil line over the dizzy hole or it will pump oil onto the
floor.  Turning the oil pump too fast will cause oil to flood over the top
of the dizzy hole and onto the floor.

While you are turning the oil pump you should have someone watching the oil
pressure gauge.  It should come to normal pressure and hold steady.  Run the
pump for a couple of minutes and everything should have a nice coating of
oil for the first start.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland