Fw: U20 rebuild questions

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: U20 rebuild questions
From: "Steve Jones" <727gs@db3broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:11:55 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Jones
To: datsun-roadster@autox.team.net
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 6:30 PM
Subject: U20 rebuild questions

I'm putting my '68 U20 back together and have some dopy questions.

First, how much slack should I have in the timing chain between the crank and
jack shaft?

Second, anyone out there have a set of good used chain tensioners for sale?
The metal bracket for the small one near the bottom that is not self-adjusting
is broken. I probably could replace all the plastic parts.

Third, I bought a machined head that measures 4.449" while the stock is
4.528". Is this an excessive cut? I've heard people talk about an extra thick
headgasket as well as tower shims to take up the slack. How much slack can I
have and which method is perferred? I'm running H20 pistons with a slight dish
so I don't think valves will be an issue.

Fourth, where do I send my rockers for reconditioning? Some are pretty worn
but I've got some extras.

Thanks in advance,
Steve near Chicago

Participate in Democracy.

"In the end, we will not so much remember the words of our enemies,
but the silence of our friends."  Martin Luther King, Jr.