Metalic Noise

To: lutepisk@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Metalic Noise
From: Jim Williams <jamesd_williams@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:03:10 -0800 (PST)
I had a very scary metalic noise... on my 68 2000...
It turned out to be the bottom pulley on the front of
the engine (cranskshaft pulley)... The pulley
(harminic balancer) has a rubber band  pressed between
the outer ring pulley area and the center part that
bolts to the crank... The rubber gets oil on it
allowing the pulley to move back into the timing mark
on the timing cover...
Here's how to test...
Shut off the engine, reach down and feel around the
timing mark... The pulley should be about 1/8 to 1/4
inch away from the timing marker... I bet your pulley
has moved back and is touching the timing marker...
causing the timing cover to resonate with a very loud
scraping sound...
Unfortunately you have to replace the front
pulley/balancer, if this is the cause... I got mine
from one of our vendors for $110.00

My noise would be less when I pushed in on the clutch,
because it would move the crankshaft a few thounds of
an inch forward...and cause the pulley to rub less...
If your timing mark has an area where it is scraped
off due to the front pulley rubbing against it, you
will be able to see it and feel it with your
fingers...
Jim Williams
68 2000
Scottsdale, AZ