Possibly bad cylinder what to check?

To: "'Datsun Roadster Forum'" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Possibly bad cylinder what to check?
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:19:54 -0800
Hello All,
        Now, for a very on-topic post.
So this year before Shasta I had the roadster out after a little couple
month nap.  It started right up and idled fine.  I was racing a Hummer up an
on-ramp and immediately after that it started running rough.  I got the car
home and pulled spark plug wires and determined that the #3 cylinder was not
contributing.  Here are the things I checked.
I pulled the #3 wire and got a good spark to ground.
I pulled the jets out of the solex carb and they looked clean and shiny put
I forced carb cleaner thru them.  The jets did not appear to be plugged but
I am not sure how to check them.

Annd that's about it.  I have been too scared to do anything else cause I am
afraid of what I will find.  If I lost a valve seat I don't think I am going
to be able to afford to have it fixed.  Well if its just a loose valve seat
and it didn't drop into the engine and destroy the cylinder walls maybe I
can afford it.

What should I check/test next?
Heh, I didn't check the spark plug itself maybe its just done bad??? Heh,
yea right....

This is going to be a winter project for me so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
                Daniel Neuman
                Oakland CA