RE: another newbie question

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: another newbie question
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:58:43 -0800
Yes, that one up on the side is the fill hole. You don't want the
transmission completely filled with oil, you just want the gears running in
an oil bath.

Hot tip - since the steel plugs can get stuck in the aluminum case (due to
electrolysis between dissimilar metals) be sure to pull the fill plug first.
That way, if you can't get it out and need to take the car somewhere to get
help, there will still be oil in the tranny. Use some anti-sieze compound on
them when you put them back in. I've sometimes used Teflon tape instead, it
also appears to work fine.

"Back in the day" I had my car up on a rent-a-rack and had drained the
tranny, then couldn't get the fill plug out. Fortunately another guy there
had a BFH that I used to beat on the end of my Crescent wrench and finally
broke the plug loose. I was about 20 miles from home, so it could have been
bad.

The diff is really obvious. One drain plug at the exact bottom, one fill
plug up a ways on the passenger side of the axle housing. No electrolysis
problems here, it's a steel case and steel plugs.

With both the tranny and the diff, add oil until it just comes up to the
bottom of the fill hole.

Gordon