Making it work: Datsun 510 wiper motor in Roadster

To: ppeters914@comcast.net, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Making it work: Datsun 510 wiper motor in Roadster
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:37:25 -0500
For all:
It was several years ago when I made this repair, and the details are hazy.
At the time I carefully posted to the list the complete procedure.   Maybeee
its in the archives somewhere.
But from what I remember:
I had an early wound rotor and wound stator motor.  The 510 motor is a perm
magnet type.
I would guess the newer roadsters might have the perm magnet type, and it
might be an exact  bolt in.

If your swapping with an early roadster motor, like I did, it bolts in, same
bolt pattern, but the wiper arm connection to the motor was different, like
a sqare head drive to the motor connection.  I had to file a part to make it
fit, and then it worked great after figureing out the wires.  I dont
remember this procedure exactly, but it was not too hard.

Wires:  The early motor connection has a different wire harness than the
510.  I could not figure out which wire went where, particularly for the
parking circuit.  So, I got a bayonet fuse from radio shack, and bolted it
into the passanger side under dash, where the hole is for the hood pull on
Japanese Market roadsters.  It fits a bayonet fuse perfectly.  I ran a wire
from the aux positive on my battery to this fuse, and then thru the dash
switch.  Thru some experimentation I was able to figure out the fast-slow
circuits.  I kept the stock plastic plug zip tied off to the side, incase
some future owner wants to spend the big money and get a stock motor rewound
and make it original.
So, the perm mag motor works great, I have fast and slow speed, and all I
have to do is sort of time when I flick them off, so they coast into the
park position.

Someone smarter than me could probably figure out the electrical part
better, and use the stock harness, minus the power circuit to the stator.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia

>From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
>To: "'Datsun Roadsters list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>CC: <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
>Subject: Datsun 510 wiper motor in Roadster
>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:55:16 -0800
>
>Dave, Jim made that comment, so I'm resending your email to the Jim and the
>list.
>
>                         `  ___  '
>Pete                   -  (O o)  -
>Lake Forest Park, WA
>1966 1600 (SPL311-00799)

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!