RE: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.

To: <Keith0alan@aol.com>, <9laser3@bright.net>,
Subject: RE: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:23:13 -0800
Ahh-so

            I really hope this to be the case.  I 'believe' that my engine
is in pretty great shape actually.  I think that I can handle the smoothing
out of the piston top but I am scared to do any smoothing in the combustion
chamber.  I think your right Keith that I need to take it to a roadster
friendly machine shop and see.  If the head is in awesome shape except for
the damaged cylinder it'll be a go.  If not..I am going to part it out along
with all of my other hoarded U-20 parts and pop in an SR20.  It's the only
scenario that makes sense to me financially but it will make me sad to see
the U-20 go..

            Daniel Neuman

            Oakland Ca

Let's try again with the trailer removed so it gets sent out. Yes, this
should be a mostly at home job. Get some craft paper and tape off the top of
the engine leaving the gouge exposed. Dremmil off the sharp edges, vacuum up
the bits and it should be fine. You should see any cracking from the top.
I'd take the head to a shop with the idea of getting the seats and valves
replaces in that cylinder. You can pop the valves out at home and take a
look and smooth out the rough spots in the combustion chamber. It does not
have to be perfect, just smooth out the sharp stuff. I would really expect
that the seats and valves are shot but I might be wrong. With a new head
gasket and all you could get away with a hundred bucks or so. Now, if the
machine shop finds your head is warped and all the valves, seats and guides
are shot (worn out) then you are looking at a bigger project. But, if the
engine is in basically good shape with the damage limited to what is seen
then it really should be pretty easy.

keith