Roadster electrics-ignition on or off

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Roadster electrics-ignition on or off
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex675@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:40:11 -0800
All,

I spent the afternoon getting my fog lamps ready to install on the roadster.
Since there were no ends on the leads to the lamps, I soldered some on
(Thanks to Matt Jacquet for supplying me with the connectors) and then
hooked them up. I turned the kill switch on and flipped the fog lamp switch.

Nothing.

Now I am not an electrician, but I was in the Navy and went to BEEP school
so I know what Ohms law is and I understand the relationship between
voltage, current and ground. So I first verified that I had voltage at the
hot leads (I did) and that ground was good to go from the wiring harness.
That was good too.

Then I thought that perhaps the filliments in the lamps were open. They
weren't.

So I finally got the bright idea to turn on the ignition. They worked.

Interesting that the headlamps will turn on with the ignition off but the
fog lamps won't. Since I had voltage at the hot lead with the ignition off,
I can only assume that closing the ignition leads completed the circuit.

Lesson learned,

Andrew Murphy
1967.5 2000