Testing Type A Steering Boxes

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Testing Type A Steering Boxes
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All!

I am in need of a new, rebuilt, or good used steering
box for my 68 2000 which has the A style box.  Mine
has about 130k miles on it, is loose, and has a
significant straight line notch in it.  I am leaning
toward keeping the car as original as possible as
opposed to going through the hassle of upgrading to
the better B box.  I have looked into the price of
rebuild kits and it looks like about $600 plus just
for the parts!

I also have a line on some used ones.

My question:

Is there a definitive way to inspect and test a used
A style box for wear or centerline notch if the box is
already out of the car?

I am doing the 80/20 rule - trying to be practical and
getting 80% of the benefit with 20% of the cost:

Balancing the cost of doing it right, one time,
rebuilding with new parts...

vs.

Getting a really good used one...

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for all your advice and expertise!!!

Scott Occhiuto
Everett, WA