Re: Pilot bearing removal

To: "Leigh Brooks" <shifty@shiftco.com>,
Subject: Re: Pilot bearing removal
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:09:46 -0400
I have used the grease / hydaulic method a couple of times, and it works
quite well.

I used a piece of steel rod that "just" fit into the diameter of the pilot
bushing,  rather than an input shaft, since I didn't have a spare input
shaft, and the tranny was already together.  I chamfered the end of the rod
slightly to prevent possible damage to the crank

It did take a bit more oomph than a rubber mallet would provide - I used a
large, plastic covered dead blow hammer.

I would also guess if the bushing is pretty worn, an input shaft would be a
looser fit, and you might end up wearing the grease that shoots out from
between the two....

Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH