Re: Trunk Gaskets and Roadster sighting!!

To: efrisbee@charter.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trunk Gaskets and Roadster sighting!!
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:08:04 -0400
Eric,

I was not bashing Stan nor his gaskets.  As I indicated, I am sure that you
can get them to work fine.  I just expected more because of the way that
they were described as being better than OEM and so forth.  I also said that
my disappointment was my own fault for not asking if they were the exact
dimensions of the OEM pieces, or what variations there were.  My goal is to
make the cars look as close as I can to when they were delivered.  My
assumption was that these would look very similar to the original stuff, but
they don't.

If I were coming on saying that they were trash, you are right, that does
not belong on the list.  I did not do that though.  I said that they will
probably work fine, but I was disappointed in them.  I am very pleased with
the trunk carpet that I got.  The shift emblem was fine.  The reprint of the
1500 owner's manual was FANTASTIC!!!  The gaskets were just not to my
expectations - because I did not ask the questions up front.  If you are
happy with them, more power to you!  I just wanted to let folks know that
there is a difference in their size relative to the factory parts.  That may
be an issue for some folks due to paint or any other number of reasons.  The
fact that they are self adhesive is a nice feature.  It sure would beat
playing with the elephant snot to put them on...

And yes, the OEM stuff is known to cause the trunk lids to stay up until
they are compressed to conform to their final shape.  In fact, I have seen
two types of OEM pieces.  One is a hollow  rubber that is practically
worthless.

If you want one of these to put on your wife's car, let me know!

Sidney Raper
1964 1500 (still a project.... sigh....)
1967 SRL311 00076 (alive again!)
Jacksonville Florida
http://www.geocities.com/roadsternut/index.html