Re: Hobbyists May Be Banned From Buying Paint

To: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Subject: Re: Hobbyists May Be Banned From Buying Paint
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:26:24 -0500
I know someone who works for Maaco and in a discussion with him they said
they will paint the car the way you want it like painting the fenders off
the car and the like for an additional charge.

I met a restorer several years ago who used Maaco exclusively to paint his
cars after he did the bodywork and he was quite impressed with the work
done. He said it didn't pay for him to do it himself because of all the
environmental restrictions and costs, especially for the paint booth.

He did however shoot the fillable primer himself at his shop using an HVLP
gun and block sanded the car prior to paint.

Mike

PS - I think with the introduction of the new latex paints under development
and as now used by all the major auto companies, the painting ban will be
for naught.

My neighbor who owns a body shop can't wait for the latex paints as it will
make his life easier and cheaper.

I think that even aircraft manufacturers are switching to latex paints.