68 Solex 2000 - Finally Fires!!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 68 Solex 2000 - Finally Fires!!!
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 13:21:14 -0700
Okay that is the only good part of the story.   This engine was rebuilt
about 4 years ago but has never been run.  After confirming timing, spark,
point gap, fuel supply etc. I took the car to a mechanic to check the
Solexs.  Found out compression was way down.  Valves were not seating and he
could not adjust them.  Possibly explains the raw fuel blow back on to the
firewall.  I put him in touch w/ one of our vendors to get any/all good
stories on U20 engine, cam tower shims etc.  He thinks the machinist must
have set the valve seats to deep in the block.  I have assumed the machinist
used the old valves.  I will try to find any old correspondence on shims
etc.  Are they still available?  Any words of advice I could pass on to my
mechanic.  Thanks in advance!  Larry.