Fuel filter question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel filter question
From: Stan <stathy@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:30:42 -0800
Well, it was finally time to turn the car around in the tiny little garage
that I have in order to tackle the huge
rust issues on the drivers side.  One thing I did notice though was that after
I started her up and let it idle for 15
minutes, the newly replaced fuel filter for my 69-1600 didn't fill up
completely.
Actually, it was barly a quarter full.
I was getting fuel going through it though because every time I gave the
throttle a good punch I would see fuel
spurting into the inlet side.

Is it normal for the fuel filter not to be full?  I have the plastic
replacement type (clear/white) filter.

One of my thoughts was that my pump isn't drawing the fuel fast enough, but I
disconnected the rubber infeed line and dipped it in a clear
bottle of fuel and sure enough it was sucking it right out.

Any ideas/help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Stan in Coquitlam, BC
Canada
1969- 1600