trannie problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: trannie problem
From: "Dana Scribner" <dscrib2@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:11:51 -0500
Can someone help out one of our DRONE people?
John seems to have a Trannie problem. He and we would like to see him on the
road.
You can contact him off line ta lutepisk@comcast.net or share your answers
with everyone.
Thanks,
Dana S

The challenge is that I still have a sound that concerns me - replacing the
clutch did not get rid of it, so now I'm thinking it must be in the
transmission.  It shows up at idle when I let out the clutch in neutral.
It's
like a scraping or "pecking" - my wife, Jeannie, says it sounds like a
woodpecker.

I feel great after getting the engine out and back in again successfully,
and
replacing the clutch and all, but rebuilding the transmission would be
another
first, and I can predict another steep learning curve.

Should I just look for a rebuilt transmission?

Anybody have a rebuilt 5-speed they can sell me?

John
1970 SRL311-14061

Portsmouth, NH