Progress on the Supercharger (long)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Progress on the Supercharger (long)
From: "andycost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:19:59 -0600
New photos here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/267887557HfboLz/4

I played hooky from work today and got some work done on the supercharger for
my KA24DE.  I am installing an Eaton M62 from a Nissan Xterra.  It was
originally designed for a V6 with a plenum.  I am having to make some
modifications to it to get it to work on the KA24DE.

First off I had to make an adaptor to mount it to the KA intake manifold.  The
KA intake manifold is two pieces and I am going to remove the throttle body
half.  The supercharger has a built in recirculating valve.   I had to cut the
housing from around the recirculating valve.  In the Xterra the housing seals
against the plenum.  I don't have a plenum so I modified the housing so that
the internal area of the supercharger is it's own plenum.

A recirculating valve is like a blowoff valve.  When you close the throttle
between shifts an enormous amount of vacuum (or pressure) is created by the
blower.  The vacuum must be vented to keep from breaking things.  The
recirculating valve is vacuum activated and vents air from one side of the
blower to the other.  It basically lets the air recirculate through the
blower.  In many cars there is a blowoff valve that does the same thing but it
vents to the atmosphere.  That won't work too well with the Xterra or my
KA24DE because the mass air sensor would measure the air vented and add fuel
to compensate.  After every shift it would go way rich.

I also made an adaptor plate to attach the throttle body to the side of the
supercharger.  The throttle body has four bolts to hold it on and one of them
will match up to a tapped hole in the supercharger.  I will port match the
throttle body, adaptor, and supercharger housing.

I am going to use the alternator as the tensioner for the supercharger belt.
The Suzuki Swift alternator that I am using came with a 3 groove serpentine
pulley.  The crank pulley has four grooves and the supercharger has 6 grooves.
I went to the alternator rebuilder today and bought a used 4 groove pulley.  I
hope that a 4 groove belt will be enough to drive the supercharger.  I am
using the power steering pump as the tensioner for the water pump belt.  I
plan on installing a power rack in the future and maybe a hydroboost unit.

Next on the agenda is to get the ECU setup with the BikiRom, install a set of
370cc injectors, and get the water injection plumbed in.  After that I'm going
to the engine dyno for some tuning.  I found that the automatic trannies have
a removable bell housing.  I found a guy in Atlanta that has a spare
bellhousing for sale.  I need the bell housing to bolt the motor to the dyno.

Catch you later,

Andy Cost