The Poor Man's Liquid Nitogen

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Poor Man's Liquid Nitogen
From: "jm.rider@verizon.net \(Jon and Maggie Rider\)"
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:25:44 -0800
Hi Team,

Thought I'd pass this along since it worked well for me.

I liked the idea of using liquid nitrogen to freeze the tar-like facing on
the top of the floor boards to aid in its removal.  However, I wasn't at all
clear where I could find it locally.  So I went a different path following
the same concept.  I went down to my local safeway store where dry ice is
sold in 10 pound chunks for a $1 a pound.  I purchased a single 10 pound
piece and it was sufficient to do the task.  I simply set it on the area to
be worked for about 10 to 15 minutes and then moved it to a new spot.  While
it was freezing the tar in the new spot, I removed the 'frozen' tar quite
easily with a sharp wood (but old) chisel.  I was happy with the result.
The tar came off in nice large chunks.

Just thought you all might like an alternative but effective method to do
this laborious task if it ever has to be done..

Jon Rider
Bothell WA
69 2000 - daily driver
68 2000 - my son's senior project - The Keeper
and a donor - formally a 68 2000