Engine swap-Z20E

To: Roadster Datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine swap-Z20E
From: Francisco Arriaga <fj_arriaga@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
I sent this last night, but for some reason it didn't
go through. Here it goes again. Sorry if this Email is
duplicated.
Frank
**********************

John and all,
Thanks for all the input so far. Originally I was just
going to stroke my R16 using the 4 speed and try to
find a 5 speed tranny latter; from a SRL-311 or the
240sx/diesel p/u swap thing. However, the Z20E,
including 5 speed tranny from a 1980 200sx, just came
my way from a friend. No charge, any parts I want to
pull-out. I started thinking at first on trying to
mate the 5speed to the R16, but the bellhousing is an
issue. So, daydreaming I thought it would be cool swap
the engine and tranny. The Z20E has fuel injection and
has crossflow heads. I can't seem to find a lot of
go-fast parts on the web, giving me the impression
that the Z20E is not a very popular engine. Unclear on
the the horsepower/torque potential of this engine
either...

So, how much modifications the engine bay would need?
Does the crossmember needs to be changed and how much?
Any clearence issues with the firewall and hood? How
about the transmission tunnel with the 5 speed from
the 200sx? Does the driveshaft length need to be
changed? Engine mounts? Tilting the engine a bit to
clear the hood is a great idea!! Any input/suggestions
are welcome.

I realize the tank and fuel lines need to be
changed/modified for the EFI, but this open the door
to use MegaSquirt to control the whole thing.

Again, thanks for the input.
Frank
1968 SPL-311
Auburn, AL