[Roadsters] Supercharged Tube Frame Update

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Supercharged Tube Frame Update
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:28:59 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
I've been having problems getting motivated. Every spare moment is taken up
with work or birthday parties. I have been to 10 birthday parties this summer
for all the 4 year olds in my daughter's class. I finally stood up to the wife
and refused to go to one. I hope there are not any more coming up. Anyway,
I've had a little progress lately and I decided to celebrate by installing the
wheels and body work and take a few photos. I have completed the rear axle it
is painted and new seals installed. It is now bolted up to the three link but
will probably have to come out for unforseen reasons. There is now a
driveshaft safety loop. I couldn't get the scattershield to fit. I'm going to
run it without for a while. I may have to install something inside the
bellhousing. I have installed the exhaust system which is 2" all the way back
to the 3" resonator and turbo muffler. I think 2" will be large enough. I have
one section of pipe to weld in where it goes over the axle. The pipes run
through holes in the frame. I want to make this last section so that it will
come apart. The front half will pull out in one piece. The rear half will pull
out in one piece. The problem is that I can't get a slip connector to work.
The tubing runs through a hole in the frame and I can't move the pipe enough
to get it to slip on or off. I considered a flange but that wouldn't slip
through the hole in the frame. I'm at an impass. I may try a flexible repair
section from Autozone. I may be able to bend it enough to slip over the pipe.
The steam roller tires look pretty cool. From the rear it looks like a
funny-car. The body work in the photos isn't secured well so the car looks
bent like a banana. I am going to build new brake and fuel lines. A frame will
be welded behind the passenger rear tire to hold the fuel cell, surge tank,
fuel pump, methanol reservoir, and battery box. There will be room back there
for the radiator to go between the wheels. I also need to build a new roll bar
and cover over the package area with sheet aluminum. There are still a bunch
of details to take care of. The front wheels are spaced out too far. I can't
bring them in any because they will hit the fat calipers. I am considering
replacing the front calipers with some floating calipers that are much lighter
and have less overhang on the wheel center side. This will allow me to remove
the 3/8" spacers and hopefully eliminate any clearance issues with the
fenders. I have some BMW E30 rear brake calipers that I am going to try and
install on the front. We'll see how it works out. This project has gone from a
little bit of cutting and welding to a complete redesign of every system. At
least it still looks like a roadster.

Enjoy the photos,

http://thumb5.webshots.net/t/22/23/5/88/25/2335588250065431685qOqfIe_th.jpg

Andy