[Roadsters] Roadster air filter question ...

To: Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Roadster air filter question ...
From: RoadsterGB@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:18:02 EST
... from a guy named Scott Pickford on the  Datsun Fairlady Roadster Group on
Facebook (now over 50 members!).  I've recommended he joins the list. In the
meantime, here's the question:

<< I have been playing with the idea of installing  what has been called a
cold air box and cone filter instead of the stock air  filter assembly. My
proposal is as follows: I own a 69 2000 using the existing  filter housing, I
am
going to place sheetmetal around the outer perimeter as a  spacer and cut in an
intake. This will be piped to a cone filter that will be  set beside the
radiator (I may need to shift the radiator) and direcly behind  the front
grille,
so it is taking in cold air. Allegedly this will increase  horsepower.

Since my car is currently being dismanteled down to the  frame, I have lots
of time to play with ideas

dumb idea or does it have  merit? >>