Re: [Roadsters] Alternate replacement windshield idea - OT: roo bars

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Alternate replacement windshield idea - OT: roo bars
From: <Ken.Smart@csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:20:58 +1100
This is off topic.....

"It is estimated that at least 20,000 kangaroo/vehicle collisions occur
on Australian roads each year. The hazards of kangaroo strike range from
cosmetic vehicle damage to occupant injury, and vehicle immobilisation
presents a real concern to drivers in remote areas."

Roo bars or bull bars are probably equally divided between rural/country
vehicles and Range Rovers And other SUVs in the cities that never go off
road in their life.
Here are a couple of indicative photos I found on the web.

New ones or ones built for new cars look like this and must comply with
Australian design rules regarding protruding objects and not interfering
with air bags etc.
http://www.blueys.com.au/acc_bullbars.htm

On older cars there are less design rules and no air bags this is a
typical rural ute with what is termed a 5 post roo bar (5 vertical
posts) they can be 4" or even 5" tube generally raked forward a little
(very bad for pedestrians!) so the roo goes under the vehicle? and can
normally take about 4 or hits before replacement or a major rebuild
depending on the size of roo and where you hit it.
http://www.blueys.com.au/poorbastard17.htm

To go off topic even further (sorry) there is even a Feral class of ute
http://www.abc.net.au/northqld/stories/s1101014.htm

Ken