Re: [Roadsters] What tires do people like?

To: nmleeds@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] What tires do people like?
From: Robert Keen <rekeen@mtu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:38:15 -0400 (EDT)
My wheels are stock.  After some off-list discussions,
I settled on size 175/70R14 tires.

I happened to pick Sumitomo HTR 200's because I only
drive the car in the summer, these have a good speed rating
(not that I'd get close to their listed max), and they got
good reviews at tirerack.com.  Not only that, they were the
least expensive in that size at that site.

I ordered mine through my local dealer, and by the time we
got through with shipping and installation they were rather
more than the tirerack.com price.  They perform much better
than the 17-year-old tires they replaced, and to me their
appearance on the car is fine.  My  speedometer readings are
more accurate with them too.  The tire shop  seemed to have
no difficulty in putting these tires on the wheels.

This was my experience.  Others on the list may have better
recommendations based on more experience and knowledge.

(I wrote the above 2.5 years ago in response to a similar
question.  I've found no reason to regret the decision.
A couple of persons on the list have been pleased at least
initally with their Sumitomo HTR 200's.  YMMV)

--Bob
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
'68 1600 (hiding behind a garage door with 4 feet of snow
in front of it)