[Roadsters] Compression test re: engine health

To: Datsun Roadster blog <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Compression test re: engine health
From: Ritchie Labate <rlabate@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:38:56 -0700 (PDT)
Being a new Roadster owner ('68 2000), I'd like to assess the general health
condition of the engine. I've rebuilt the distributor, replaced the plugs, coil
(MSD), and wires (MSD). I checked the compression today and each cylinder
registered 145 psi after 5 cranks. Is this acceptable? What would a leak-down
test determine compared to todays test? How do I perform such a test? The car
doesn't burn any oil but occasionally blows some smoke (running very rich, need
to replace carbs). What is the tell-tale diagnostic that would reveal serious
engine concerns/rebuild?

  Thanks!!

  Ritch