Re: [Roadsters] Headlight question

To: Brad Stapleton <Brad@bradstapleton.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Headlight question
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:01:36 -0500
Brad,

Welcome to the list. There is plenty of data available on this list and
on www.311s.org. There are also archives of this list.

Most folks go with Hella or Cibe headlights. From looking at the URL you
listed it seems to me to be snake oil. You can put higher wattage bulbs
in the Hella or Cibe housings. Check the replacement cost for bulbs
before you spend you $$ on off brand headlights, some use really
expensive bulbs that are hard to locate. Also, take a look at the
seller's feedback. It doesn't seem that he ships very promptly.

That said, if you decide to go with these you shouldn't have the problem
late model Roadsters have with metal reflector headlights. The metal
reflector is usually tied to the common lead, which in most cars is
ground. In the later Roadsters that lead is tied to 12V, which can cause
things to short out rather quickly. I would, however, suggest that you
upgrade the headlight relay to be a 30A Hella relay. The factory relay
is old and not designed to take the extra power that upgraded headlights
draw. Don't go with the relays that look like Hella that are made in
China, they don't last very long.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Brad Stapleton:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001