Re: [Roadsters] Idle on a R series stroker? & 2 part numbers.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Idle on a R series stroker? & 2 part numbers.
From: "Walter Peterson" <Walter.Peterson@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:02:39 -0700
Hey Daryl, I've been lurking for a while with no time write in.  I've moved,
etc.

As you may recall, I've got a big cam 1600/2000bstroker too and an 850 idle
is about the best I can get.  My acceptance & reasoning is that big-short
pulses of air on the fat idle/cruise jets of the 44 Solexes makes it hard to
be smooth at any low idle RPMs.  Also my timing is at 18 to 20 at idle with
no vacuum advance plate to jitter around (was a new distributor 30k miles
ago and 38 Max timing is in by 2300-3800, I forget).  Anyhow, if you have
Fuel injection or a good pair of SU's & a distributorless ignition you could
drop it into the range you're looking for, but otherwise I think you've
arrived at optimum already.

OT: Ages ago I was going to get you the 3-main 2000 crank PN# which is
12200-34201 & the Virgin R16 aluminum, SAE threads, no smog ports head; we
started with was PN# 11041-146603.
When Nissan competition sold these to me, the crank supposedly was the 3rd
one in existence in the US and that this was the "Cheater crank" that made
the early 1600 Roadster SCCA competitive.  The Head was pure joy for my
engine builder to port up and match to the (rare?) factory 1600/44mm
sidedraft manifold.  The head got the works: welded closed chambers, Bigger
Valves, new narrowed harder seats, shorter slender guides, custom valve
springs & retainers.  Big fun with a vintage look.
Today for the same money, I'd buy a late model motor & trans to drop in.
Who could argue with better MPGs & a smoother running drive train?

Walt Peterson
Goleta CA
1600/2000R