[Roadsters] Clutch hose update

To: "'datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net'"
Subject: [Roadsters] Clutch hose update
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 20:14:08 -0400
Hi All,

Well, its several days later now and I'm "pending parts". They're on the
way. Turns out "patching" a clutch hose is every bit as bad an idea as folks
said it would be. It being a 3 layer hose (hose, wrapping, hose) that thing
is SMALL on the inside. AND, you don't know where the "inside" hole is.
Impossible to "patch". I found out where the outside of the hose leaked, cut
it in two, and got a 2 inch piece of antenna from an old transistor radio
and made a "patch". I wrapped the joint in E-Tape and used several hose
clamps.

It lasted about 4 pumps of the clutch pedal. I'm currently driving Loreli
without a clutch and getting INCREDIBLE GAS MILEAGE! No downshifting, no
stopping at lights (I time my lights PERFECTLY). I've learned to make my
shifts between 2500 and 3100 RPM so they're nice and smooth. I can go as
slow as 5 mph in first gear at around 1100 RPM. That pisses folks off behind
me, but it's MY car, DAMMIT! As said before, she's my daily driver and my
only car. I'm fairly certain that if I HADN'T thrown away my rear brake hose
when I replaced it, I could make it work as a temporary fix, but..

The moral of the story is. don't toss those old parts. Ya just never know.
If you have two, eBay them. If you have one.. Might want to hold on to it.
:-)

Matt