[Roadsters] U20: normal piston clearance

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] U20: normal piston clearance
From: nmleeds@mindspring.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:06:21 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
All,

Finally got my engine put back together and running (there was a major misstep
along the way which is too embarrasing to relay here in any detail -- suffice
to say I learned a valuable lesson about interference valves)

At any rate, I have a bit of a franken-car that was various people's project
before finally coming to me.  Because of this history, I am always trying to
figure out which parts are original, and which parts were someone's "clever"
idea.

When I put my engine back together I noticed that at top dead center the
pistons can completely flush with the top of the block.  I seem to remember
that the engine I built for my old Toyota Tercel had a little more clearance --
but my memory could be wrong.  Is this spec?  And normal?  Or has someone put
in longer rods?

Nathaniel Leeds
'69 u20, running !!!