Re: [Roadsters] Recall: BAT (Bring a Trailer) 1960 Datsun SPL212

To: Lee Ehinger <lee.ehinger@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Recall: BAT (Bring a Trailer) 1960 Datsun SPL212
From: Dan Zubkoff <zubkoff@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:10:19 -0800 (PST)
Lee,

I assume that Craig sent you some information in confidence. I
appreciate
that you tried recalling the message, but unfortunately the post had already
been sent to the list.

I've owned several SPL212/SPL213s over the years. They are terrific vehicles,
but attempting to sort out and find missing parts can take a phenomenal amount
of work, patience, money and trial & error.

The characterization that I simply 'Flipped' my previously owned SPL213 is
inaccurate.

After purchasing the vehicle, I had the car shipped to Los Angeles and had a
professional shop rebuild the top end of the motor (it previously had rodents
living in it), hot tanked the block, rebuild the fuel system, had the original
carb rebuilt, had
White Post Restoration rebuild all Hydraulics (All Wheel
Cylinders, Clutch
Master, Clutch Salve and Brake Master), had the Brake Shoes
Relined, had custom DOT brake and
clutch hoses custom made,  new clutch,
 rebuilt the cooling system, went through the ignition and electrical systems
and much more. I spent in excess of $7000, just on the mechanical work alone.

The end result was a really terrific Datsun that was saved. With some
additional work done by the new owner, it was later featured in
Hemmings
Magazine:

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2011/04/01/hmn_drivable_dreams1.html

Finding, researching  and carefully refurbishing a 51 year old Datsun is
not
a light task. Some parts can literally take years to find or make. I've now
owned my current SPL212 for close to seven years & enjoyed bringing her
back
to life. She is a great car to drive around town and take to the local car
shows. If you are a member of 311s.org, you can see my posts about my SPL212,
its refurbishment and travels over the past several years.

Dan Zubkoff

Houston, TX