Re: [Roadsters] 2-litre Roadster vs Porsche 911 of the day?

To: "'Gary McCormick'" <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, <datsun-roadsters-bounces@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 2-litre Roadster vs Porsche 911 of the day?
From: Jerry Krakauer via Datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 16:33:45 -0500
Gary,

FWIW, Just from my own experience I raced my 67 1/2  Solex in CP at the
regional level in the late 60s/70 until they moved it down to DP after the Z
car came out. Against 911s, lotus elans, XKEs and TR5/6. While at the national
level, in the east at least, Bob Sharp's major competitor was Bob Tullius in
his Group 44 TRs, but at the lower levels I did quite well against all of them.
Had a better top speed than most and could out drag them all, so at a fast
track like Bridgehampton I always did well, but with the 'cart' suspension and
power oversteer with a Detroit Locker at high speeds that can wear you down,
had to work harder at places like Lime Rock.
 Of course at that level of competition  the state of tune was a big
contributor to performance and there were still folks with near stock cars back
then, and I did have a Sharp prepared engine. Don't think I ever went up
against a really fully prepared 911. But then again they were never a problem
for the Datsuns and Triumphs at the national level. Also the 911s back then
were not the monsters they are today.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099