fot

Re: Block/Liner Question

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>,
Subject: Re: Block/Liner Question
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:39:31
At 09:48 AM 10/28/97 -0600, Alexander Joseph H wrote:
>If I were to take a stock TR4 block and stock set of liners and wished
>to "freshen" the surface of the deck, what is the procedure? Pitfalls?

Ken Gillanders chastised me thoroughly for doing this to the block
that's currently in my car; unfortunately, the top surface was so
badly scored that I had no real choice.  If you can avoid decking
the block, don't.

>Never done this before and dont want to find out things the hard way IF
>I do a skim cut.

The problem is that with the wet liner block, you'll have to measure
the "protrusion" of each liner, then have a machinist chuck them in a
lathe and remove a few thousands to get the required protrusion.  Of
course, if whoever decks the block doesn't get it exactly square, you'll
have to mark the liners for both position (1,2,3 or 4) and orientation
within the block, etc.  Also, if you're running a high compression
motor, you may run into valve to piston interference or your rods
may be too long, you'll have to compensate with shorter pushrods, etc.
So, its best not to skim it unless absolutely necessary.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu