fot

Re: Flywheel

To: Malaboge@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Flywheel
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 16:03:26 -0500
when you talk that way...

> The stock TR4 flywheel is one heavy puppy. I believe there are diagrams
> available (Kastner book ?) of what can be removed, but the cost of removing
> all that metal is not gonna be small. Why not bite the bullet and step up to
> an aluminum flywheel? I've street driven one for years in and around the hilly
> city of San Francisco, and not had a problem. The benefits on the track will
> be more than you can achieve with a lightened stock flywheel.
> If money is really that serious a concern, perhaps think about using a TR3
> flywheel and redrilling the pressure plate holes for the later clutch. The 3
> flywheel is probably lighter in stock form than the most serious case of
> lightening on a TR4 flywheel.
>
> Gossip-R-Us...
>     Nick in Nor Cal

Tilton Aluminum flywheel is now about $450 and weighs maybe 10 lbs.
Stock flywheel costs nothing and weighs 28 lbs.
Normal lightened iron flywheel costs $90 machining and weighs 24 lbs.
My approach cost $170 for machining and weighs 18 lbs.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

--
uncle jack in frigid iowa
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer