fot

Re: TR3 Serial number question.

To: EISANDIEGO@AOL.COM, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Serial number question.
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:08:23 -0500
At 07:53 AM 11/19/98 EST, EISANDIEGO@aol.com wrote:
>Looking at TR3 project car that has serial number TSF 383 L. The car is
titled
>as a 1962. This date and year seem to indicate that it is a TR3B rather
than a
>TR3. Is that correct ?

Yes, that's right; TSF cars were 3B's, I'm pretty sure.

>I have asked this question before. What color was the primer used on TR3s? I
>apologize, I quess I getting old. There are a few areas of this car (under
>rear carpeting and near the gas tank) that have white paint. Otherwise the
car
>has been apparently repeatedly paint a metallic blue color (including under
>the carpeting in the front seats). Since I am told that the factory never
used
>metallic colors, am I to conclude that this car was originally white ?

Its funny that you should ask this today, as several of us were discussing
this over beers the other night.  It started by someone mentioning
John Mac's post that black cars were all painted on Fridays, so that
the paint lines could be cleaned and purged over the weekend.  Along
with that, one of the guys (who has stripped quite a few Triumphs)
mentioned that he thought many Triumphs got a coat of white paint
before their "real" body color.  Quite a few of us had seen a layer
of white paint over the primer and under the body color.  No-one really
knew why this was so (maybe John Mac can help out here) but one thought
was that if the factory didn't have an order for a specific color, and/or
was going to store the body shell for any length of time, then the body got
a coat of white paint to protect it, then was painted the proper color when
it came onto the assembly line.

cheers,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu