fot

The Hub of the Issue

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Hub of the Issue
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:46:43 -0600
Hi all,

Joe Curry and I have been discussing, off list, the question of GT6 hubs
and their tendency to break, leaving a perfectly nice GT6 rolled into a
ball.  From time to time on the list, we've discussed this issue and
various fixes, from GT6Steve's beautifully done 240Z hubs with TR6 axles
to CNC-machined replacements made from metallic elements obtainable only
from asteroids.

But here's the question of the moment:  WHY do the hubs break?

Is it increased cornering forces that are the problem or is it something
else?  The failures I've seen or heard about were all related to
cornering.  So is it cornering forces that crack the hubs, or do the
hubs crack for whatever reason and then the cornering forces break off
the axle because the cracked hub is wallowing around?

I'm looking for any opinions at all, from first-hand scientific analysis
to general belly-button-picking (as someone here so aptly put it).  I'd
prefer to keep my GT6 shiny side up and rubber side down and am just
looking for some data before I pick a fix.

Scott Barr
sbarr@mccarty-law.com