fot

Sad news

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sad news
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2000 09:00:35 +0100
FOTers

I  learned yesterday that Peter Cox ex Triumph competition mechanic and
experimental engineer has passed away. 'Coxy' served his apprenticeship at
the old company in the fifties and joined my father Ken's competition
department. He was involved with the preparation and development of almost
all the works competition cars including the Le Mans Spitfires. Apart from
a three year period in the early sixties when he worked for the Mintex and
Brabham racing teams Coxy remained with the 'Rover' company until his
retirement about four years ago.

In 1967 he took the club racing scene in Britain by storm driving a full
race Spitfire he built himself. With his Spit he out drove Lightweight E
types  and Shelby Cobras on many occasions to win the Freddie Dixon Trophy
outright with four wins, four second places and 1 third. He also broke the
class lap records at Croft, Mallory Park, and Brands Hatch. I wrote two
articles on Coxy and his remarkable exploits with his Spitfire in the
April/May and June/July 98 issues of TOT which I  consider my tribute to
him.

With the loss of 'Coxy'  I've lost a life long and wonderful pal, and it
hurts. As he was a life long devotee of the principles of this group of
ours, I will personally organize a special tribute to him from the Friends
of Triumph Group of America in recognition for the part he played in the
development and competition history of the Triumph marque.

Paul