fot

Pocono Race

To: "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pocono Race
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:16:23 -0700
Pocono, was wet and foggy this past weekend.  This was supposed to be
an SCCA double weekend, but fog screwed it up for the second year in a
row.  Each day was to have a practice/qualifying session, and a race
for each of the 8 race groups.  Everyone got tin their
practice/qualifying session on Sat., but only the 1st four groups got
out before the fog rolled in.  I was in group 6, so on to plan B.  We
would finish on Sunday, the last 4 race groups, and our finishing
positions from the first race would determine our starting positions
for the second race.  Fog held racing off until 11AM.  I started 3rd
overall and 2nd in class. 7 laps into my race, the top of a push rod
broke off and I DNF'd.  I later found out that it had been rubbing on
the push rod tube.  That meant that I would be starting the second
race at the back of the pack.  The rain and fog stayed away for the
rest of the day.  I finished 2nd in class and 3rd overall.  A Porsche
911 was first overall, and a BMW 2002 who started on the front row,
was 1st in my class, and 2nd overall.
    All weekend I was trying to get my SU HS6 carbs to work right, and
never did.  Above 6000 rpm they would not flow enough fuel, and the
engine would lean out considerably.  You probably saw some of my
subsequent emails on SU carbs.  I am thinking of going to Weber 45
DCOE's.  Does anyone on the list have any pointers about the Webers.
Anyone have any good used ones at a reasonable price. Most of the
front running car that I am racing with are using Webers, so I am
trying to keep up with the "Jones's".   Joe(B)