fot

Re: Confused - Additional SCCA National Championships Prior to 1964 ???

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: Confused - Additional SCCA National Championships Prior to 1964 ???
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:10:00 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/2000 4:55:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
EISANDIEGO@aol.com writes:

> Mike
>
>      The interesting thing about this old Oilzum Poster is that it lists
SCCA

>  National Champions, SCCA Northeast Division Champions, SCCA New England
>  region Champions and SCCA Central Central Division Champions, and SCCA
>  Washington Region Champions. It is limited to listing SCCA drivers using
>  Oilzum Products.
>  There are no drivers in other Divisions/Regions. I am presuming that this
is

>  because Oilzum had a regional market.
>
>      My point here is that Oilzum is distinguishing between National and
>  Division and Regional champions. So at first look, it seems in consistent.
>  What am I missing ??
>
>  Cary

SCCA is divided into Divisions (10 or 11...) and Regions (~70..?).

Several Regions comprise each Division.

Drivers belong to a Region (Such as New England or Washington) and compete in
races in their Division (such as Northeast) to qualify for the National
Championship race (now at Mid Ohio in a couple of weeks).

Regions often declare Regional champions in their own membership based on
points earned towards Divisional Championships (only the top 6 (or whatever)
points leaders in each Division is invited to the National Championship
race).  A Regional championship is somewhat dubious as the person could be
last in his class in the Division, but still the tops in his Region in that
class.

The Divisional Championship is meaningful since it includes all the Regions
in that Division, but sometimes can be lackluster in a division with few cars
in a particular class.

A National Championship really means something but there can be weaknesses
here also.

Oilzum was just using all the possible statistics to make a case for their
product. I would presume those were the only champions using Oilzum
nationwide.  I don't know if it is/was a regional product.

Whatever...

"If it's not fun, why do it?" Ben & Jerry
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419)