fot

Spitfire windshields

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire windshields
From: Susan Hensley <racespit@netzero.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:24:41 -0500
Hi all!

While at CVAR this past weekend, I noticed Bob Kramer had a good-looking
windscreen on his TR4 and commented on it.  It was flat and held in
place at about a 45-degree angle with "L" brackets bolted on one end to
the car and the other end into the windshield material.  He said it was
Lexan, which will not crack like Plexi does (Tristan's windshield
spoiler is testimony to the fact that Plexi DOES crack, and how), and he
got a large scrap from a shop and cut his own out.  It looked really
good and performed its function well.  Apparently you can get smoke tint
as well as clear, and there may be other color/tint options as well.

(Lexan is what they make bullet-proof windows out of, by the way.)

This sounds like a very simple and cost-effective way to make a
windshield, and I will certainly be doing this as soon as Tris's
windshield gets too bad.

Hope this helps!  Thanks for the inspiration, Bob!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan    :)

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633