fot

Close Ratio Gears vs. Overdrive

To: tedtsimx@q1.net, vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Close Ratio Gears vs. Overdrive
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 12:14:13 EST
I removed my OD from the race car and put it into my street car.

I know I could have mave made it more reliable in the electrical side, but
didnt imorve the solenoid until it got to the TR3A. It is also 35# heavier
and it took awhile before I beefed up the rear tail shaft mount to a level
where the tail shaft quit trying to slide in my lap.

When OD did work, I tried to use 2nd OD to launch out of turn five at Road
America and perhaps again at Canada Corner.... a little more fun, I
understand quite stressfull to ODs.

There were also times that I forgot to flip the switch....but that's another
problem.

Reduce high RPMs on engine with stock parts on the long
straights?...perhaps...but I suspect (dont know) that the stresses under full
load in fourth gear might be different than in second or third (comments?)
and only comes into play at tracks like Road America.

Anyway, I found a gearbox from a $75 parts car five years ago and put it in.
Dont even think about it anymore.  Sure would like to have the close ratio
gears though.Would it make a real race car driver out of me? Probably not,
but it sounds like the right thing to do

Joe Alexander.

<< use the close ratio. the od is just one more thing to go wrong, maintain or
 just plain mess with. the cr gears coupled with some alternate rear end
 ratios should make a lap time difference. ted