fot

Give me a brake, (10")

To: BillDentin@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Give me a brake, (10")
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:00:06 EST
In a message dated 12/4/2000 12:20:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

<<

 Bill Dentinger

 PS

 While we have them on the Thunder Bolt, my TR3 does not have any brake
 biasing (if that's a word) components in place.  On my TR3 I am running the
 TRIUMPH 10" Alfin Drums in the rear, and I seem to be getting satisfactory
 braking.  Clearly the rears are doing their share of the work.

 You don't happen to have an extra pair of 10" backing plates, do you?  I
want
 to set up one of Jack's new axles, and I need some plates. >>

<snip> The 10" rear drums are a good thing; their extra weight is well worth
it.
Not only do they stop well, they are more consistent over a race distance.

When my parents moved out of their house, TS Auto ended up with some of my
stuff.
As I recall he was recycling 10" drums because he had so many.  Try him for
the backing
plates & let me know.  He did get my original 1956 10" front drum brakes,
complete;
I mention this just as an aside.

BTW I had to put a second residual pressure valve in the rear brake system,
as the
real race tires cause much flexing back there.  I set it for a different
pressure than the
front one; both were not as standard.  No doubt, this was one of the causes
for my
TR3's system to be a "bleeding disaster"
.
I consider my existing system to be unfinished, and not satisfactory,
which is why I have not reported on it.

 Hardy Prentice