fot

Re: Koni question

To: BRITPAC@aol.com
Subject: Re: Koni question
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:34:31 -0600
All of the Koni single adjustable shocks I've seen require you to fully
compress the shock then turn anticlockwise for soft clockwise for firm.
On units that have eye type mounts, the eye does not line up for mounting
at full soft so you need to go the 1/4 turn to get alignment. Then you
can adjust in 1/2 turn increments until you get the desired setting. You
should be able to feel a change in the effort required to compress the
shock as you turn them firmer. I think there are usually 4 full turns
from soft to firm. I don't recall ever getting a Koni shock more than 2
1/2 turns firm on the street or they were just to uncomfortable.

The adjusting procedure makes it a pain for quick changes but once their
on there is little need to be changing things.

Bill 70 GT-6+

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:47:07 EDT BRITPAC@aol.com writes:
> This will sound dumb but I'm going to ask it anyway.
>
> I got the Koni 'classics' and documentation from old Autocar's that
> oil
> adjustible shocks go back to at least 1954. The shocks did not come
> in a box
> or with any instructions (new from Moss).
>
> I know you twist them left to soften, and right to firm up. How can
> you tell
> how much to turn them? I can't feel any detent. I assume they have
> to be
> fully extended, but maybe not. Is it 1/4 turn, or 12? Can you turn
> them too
> far? I can't seem to feel any difference in resistance.
>
> Can anyone help with this?
>
> Steve Hedke
> British Pacific Ltd.
> Land Rover Parts & Accessories since 1974
> 26007 Huntington Lane, unit 2
> Valencia, CA. 91355 USA
> fax: 661 257-9765
> orders: 800 554-4133