fot

Rings

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rings
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:12:31 -0400
Since we talking rings......

When I brought my engine components into my machinist, he was all over my case
about not using ductile rings.  He pulled some old ones out of a bin and could
twist them up without them breaking.  Since I knew the Deves rings I had were
good ones, but certainly not ductile like those that he had, and my second
compression ring was already made gap-less by Total Seal, I passed on
acquiring a set of the ductile ones.  I've always wondered about those rings.
Anybody ever use a set in a Triumph or other engine?

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages?

Thanks,

Jack Brooks

BTW - the machinist was a cantankerous old bastard, who loved to argue about
anything, but he did a great job.  He was not really familiar with LBCs, but
he built race engines (road, drag and marine) on a regular basis and had a
bunch of very happy clients wander in checking on their work on that Saturday
morning I "interviewed" him.  He loved reading Kas's Competition book too, so
I knew he wasn't all bad.  <Grin>  I loaded it to him for things like rod
lightening, etc.