fot

Re: GT-6/Spitfire brakes

To: wgrosenbach@juno.com
Subject: Re: GT-6/Spitfire brakes
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:42:32 EDT
In a message dated 6/20/01 5:31:23 PM EDT, wgrosenbach@juno.com writes:

> If memory serves, the brakes are the same diameter but a quarter inch
>  wider. Increased swept area should be a benefit for stopping.

Sorry, that much I'm sure of. Spitfires always used 7" diameter rear drums,
while GT6's always used 8" diameter rear drums. And now that I am home, with
Workshop Manual in hand, I can confirm that the GT6s up through the 1972
model year used 8" x 1.25" rear shoes, while the 1973-only GT6 used 8" x 1.5"
rear shoes.

But everyone still seems to be having too much fun debating hydraulics to
worry about this, huh? :-)

--Andy