fot

RE: Good Luck

To: 1FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Good Luck
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:16:39 -0700
I haven't weighed in on this because my opinion on the matter has nothing
to do with economics, and that seemed to be what the question was about.
However, I have some unique and recent experience to share. Within the
last few years I built my TR3 from a road car, bought a well-prepped
vintage race car (Peyote), and bought a completely prepped, virtually
hands-off modern race car.

The TR3 was probably the most expensive of the three, though I really
never kept track. I built it over a relatively long period, first
restricting my changes to handling and safety, and later working my way up
through the pack with cubic dollars. By the time people started noticing
that my TR3 was faster than some modern Porsches, that I could push it
into the trailer by myself, and that magnets wouldn't stick anywhere but
the roll cage, I had a fair sum into the little cheater. In other words,
the expense of development is inversely proportional to your discipline
and directly proportional to your urge to beat the guy in front of you.
I'd write the formula down but I think there should be no math.

Then I bought Peyote from Baxter and the TR3 has languished, up on jack
stands with bits swiped for Peyote's needs. Peyote was a great deal, I
think I paid Baxter $22K for it and the trailer. People always tell me
what a nice trailer it is. I've toasted a few things in it (engine,
transmission) but that's motor racin'. Stuck in a Southwick conversion.
Rebuilt the engine with a steel crank. etc., etc. but by and large it's
been very inexpensive and it's accepted everywhere. And there's the
key--Peyote is a special, not a tarted up street car like my TR3 is, and
so it is both faster, and cheaper. It doesn't have to win a relative
beauty contest--it's homely race patina is it's very own. If I was going
to go Vintage racing from scratch today that's what I'd look for. Most fun
per buck. Wouldn't even have to be a Triumph (blasphemy!!!)

Finally, I bought a Radical to increase my track time. About $50K, and
faster than anything you'll see at any vintage race short of a 917. Eats
Formula Atlantic cars for lunch. Stops on a dime and gives you nine cents
change. I pay no attention to it between races other than wiping it down
and changing the oil. In other words, it doesn't need me.

Lessons learned--though I already knew them: We love these cars because
they are a reflection of us and our abilities. Putting your efforts into
building one from scratch is not economically sound, but it makes perfect
sense. It's fun. That what we all do this for. Making real, useful changes
to my Radical is beyond my capabilities, but getting another few seconds
out of Peyote with a suspension modification is not. So I love Peyote and
lavish attention on it, and I use my Radical like a tool and consider it
replaceable.

It's like modern Japanese bikes vs. Harleys (or more to my taste--vs.. old
brit and Italian bikes). No one truly loves their Jap bikes because they
are so capable that they don't need help. But when a bike has lots of your
knuckle skin spread around it, you have a commitment and a bond to it.