fot

Triumphs at Hallet Motor Racing Circuit Oct 27-28, 2001

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>, "'Beth Wilt'" <bwilt@tpf.org>,
Subject: Triumphs at Hallet Motor Racing Circuit Oct 27-28, 2001
From: Jeff Wilt <jwilt@leighengineering.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:26:59 -0600
This was an eye opening racing weekend, with many first for me.  First off.
 Tony D can not only drive that TR4, BUT he has the coolest helmet - sort
of a darth vader look.  I still think there are too many white helmets in
our open tops.

Second.  Ever had your belts come loose when the group is taking the green
flag?  I know, only a weenie would pull over.  So this weenie whipped into
the pits, and as my son says, life switches to Elf time - fast when you
want it slow, and vise versa.  Race control sent the group around again,
and it took almost the entire lap to undo and redo the belts.  Elf time.
 The group took green and I got to play hard charger for the event.  ( the
other example of elf time is the 5 to go warning on the grid that vanishes
in 90 seconds).

Third.  I had a couple of examples of getting through the corner with speed
- and forgetting the about the 'through the corner'  part.  I can attest to
the tractor engine doing its job in the grass.  I was so impressed with
this that I tried it again on Sunday.  Dinner with my 'mentors' was a fun
experience Sunday night!

Fourth - I had to bleed the clutch lines before very event, and towards the
end of each race, the 'fix' would quit working.  Pumping the pedal to
change gears became necessary, and problems (see Sunday off road, above)
occur when the clutch engages on its own time line, and before you lift
your foot to engage the clutch on your time line.

Fifth - Final Race - final corner, 1/8 mile sprint to the flag , and I find
the limit of the fuel tank just as I clip the apex.  Worst part, 2 MG got
by at the flag (for this reason AND no other).  I did coast under the
stand, (no DNF) and also recorded my fastest times of the weekend after
figuring the tires out.  And to end it right there on fumes.......

RMVR and CVAR had a great weekend.  Our other distinguished guest made it
truly exceptional.  But based on the above, I think it is time to put #39
in the garage for a while!  See everyone in March.

#39 TR3A 1959
Tired Dog Racing
Jeff Wilt

Jeffrey Wilt, PG., CPSM