fot

re:virus

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:virus
From: "Mike Rose" <lytspeed@wcnet.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 03:44:47 -0500
Well, I do know that my computer has passed the virus along to several people
on the list, as well as others I have sent emails to in the past.  I had no
idea it was happening, of course, until it was too late.  I noticed that my
computer was sending emails on its own and I couldn't stop it.
I suppose it was, in a sense, my fault, however, because I have not updated my
antivirus definitions for quite a while.  This virus, though, was first
discovered on Nov. 24 (according to www.Norton.com) and I noticed it on Nov.
26.
I am very sorry for any problems it may have caused anyone else, but I
certainly didn't want it in the first place and  passing it along was not of
my doing.  I spent most of the day on Monday, Nov. 26 getting the thing out of
my computer at work.  Norton AntiVirus could not delete or quarantine it but
it did identify it and the infected files, so, being the old fart that I am, I
rebooted in DOS mode and manually deleted the files that were infected.  I
knew that knowledge of DOS commands would come in handy someday.

Sorry,

Mike