fot

620 miles in 24 hours

To: for@autox.team.net
Subject: 620 miles in 24 hours
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:46:53 +0100
Friends
I'm putting out this message in the event an overseas (or UK based)
lister is likely to find themselves in the UK during the weekend of
May 18-19 with time on their hands and looking for something with a
strong LBC flavour. I've organised a charity dash called "The Timbo
Run" which starts from BMIHT in central England at 11.00 on Sat May 18
and finishes just over 24 hours later near London. My crew has dropped
out owing to a birthday.
If any overseas enthusiasts want a grandstand view of some of the more
scenic parts of south west England and the Border country of Wales
from 'Flossie' (my '74 2000) please contact me off list. Canley Girl
was going on this trip but a leaking crank oil seal and an ambivalent
overdrive means she won't be taking part. I don't have enough spare
weekends before the event itself.
If this Run follows the form of the last two, it'll be a barrell of
laughs. You'll visit seventeen castles (some ruined, some not - but
for no more than 5 mins each) see some stupendous country and travel
much of a test route used by UK manufacturers, including Standard
Triumph, between 1930 and 1970. You'll be with 10 other Triumphs, 1x
MGA, 1x Austin Maxi, 2 x Rover P6's (one of which is a 2200
Estate!!!!!!!) and 1x Morris Marina 1.8TC. There's no entry fee and
I'll cover the cost of fuel - tho' you can contribute if it salves
your conscience. The only cost you will have to face will be your food
for which you should budget about GBP35 - say US$50.
'Flossie's' doors are now metaphorically open for up to three people
and if you want, she'll be happy to let you do a stint at her wheel.
Don't forget, it's on the right and you'll have to change gear with
your left hand! There might even be a few (warm) beers in the boot for
those who don't want to drive.

Jonmac
1950 Ferguson TED20 152318
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O)