fot

Re: synchro rings

To: <mikee@ragtops.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: synchro rings
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:38:06 +1200
I don't have much knowledge about TR synchro rings, but I know everything
about the Spitfire ones. I wouldn't recommend getting any repro ones at all,
try all the rings you have on a gear and see how much gap there is, ie how
far down the cones it sits. If any are getting close to the gear but still
have plenty of "lock" onto the gear get some material turned off to increase
the gap. In use with hard changes the rings stretch a bit and if they touch
the gear before gripping on the cone then you get poor synchro. Also
essential to make sure the hubs are well sprung, it is this snappiness that
forces the synchro rings to work, brand new original ones don't do anything
if the hub is too lose.
Syncro ring bite can be improved by harder springing in the hubs for racing
perhaps, however this does mean the box is harder to get out of gear and to
some extent will wear the rings out quicker.
John Kipping